Evidence-based practice (EBP), including the most current research, is used to identify and describe four challenging clinical profiles of adult clients who stutter: (1) Adults who stutter (AWS) and have had little to no therapy prior to the time they seek you out; (2) AWS who are bilingual; (3) AWS who show signs of covert stuttering; (4) AWS looking for augmentative aids or alternatives to speech therapy (medications, SpeechEasy, support groups, etc).
- After this course, participants will be able to explain the philosophy of, and techniques belonging to the Fluency Shaping, Stuttering Modification, and Cognitive Behavior Therapy approaches.
- After this course, participants will be able to describe appropriate responses to counseling challenges coming from adult clients who stutter, especially those who have had little to no therapy prior to the time they seek you out.
- After this course, participants will be able to list and provide rationale for assessments and basic treatment ideas for adult clients who stutter and are bilingual.
- After this course, participants will be able to explain the challenges and strategies to use with clients who report stuttering, but present with "covert stuttering" (i.e., avoidance to the point of showing little if any surface-level stuttering).
- After this course, participants will be able to describe the benefits and drawbacks to medications, technological devices, support groups, and intensive treatment programs, when viewed as alternatives to or as adjuncts to the behavioral speech therapy treatment that you plan to provide for an adult client who stutters.
|0-5 Minutes||Introduction to adults who stutter and the fluency shaping, stuttering modification, cognitive behavior therapy approaches|
|5-15 Minutes||The Adult client Who Stutters (AWS) with little to no prior therapy|
|15-25 Minutes||The Bilingual AWS|
|25-35 Minutes||The AWS who presents with covert stuttering|
|35-45 Minutes||The AWS looking for alternative or adjunct treatments to your SLP Tx|
|45-55 Minutes||Fluency Shaping, Stuttering Modification, and Cognitive Behavior|
|55-60 Minutes||Conclusion, Q&A|
No more reviews to load.
Content Disclosure: This learning event does not focus exclusively on any specific product or service.
Course participation information
To ensure you are ready to participate, please complete our short Test Drive to prepare your computer to view the course.
Login and logout times will be recorded and documented.
Passing an online exam will be required to earn continuing education credit, where applicable.
Live Webinars allow presenter and participant interaction. The exam and course evaluation for these courses must be completed within 7 days of the event.
On-demand courses include texts, video and audio recordings of live webinars, and multimedia formats. The exam and course evaluation for on-demand courses must be completed within 30 days of course registration.
To participate in the course, complete the exam, and earn continuing education credit (where applicable), you must be a SpeechPathology.com member.
SpeechPathology.com is committed to providing equal opportunities in accordance with all applicable laws. If you are in need of a disability-related accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We will review your request and respond in a timely manner. Please note that we will require a minimum of 2 weeks to provide a reasonable accommodation for your request.
Visit our Contact us page or give us a call if you have questions.