Selecting Apps for Therapy: A tutorial for SLPs on using an EBP model to assist with choosing intervention toolsCourse: #5000 1 Hour
Smartphone and Tablet applications (apps) for speech-language therapy should be viewed within the context of evidence-based practice, just like any other intervention tool on the market. In today’s world, the demand for technological skills and competencies increases for students with special needs and professionals who work with them. With a growing number of apps available, it can be a daunting task to determine which ones to select for therapy. Often, the descriptions of the apps by the developer and the reviews provided by customers on the app store sites are lacking vital information. This could lead to SLPs relying on opinions, testimonies, and advertisements to make decisions. This course provides a tutorial on how to use 5 steps based upon EBP to select an app for therapy.
- After this course, participants will be able to define the 4 meanings of “Apps for Therapy” as it relates to this tutorial.
- After this course, participants will be able to frame a research question based on PICO (population, intervention, comparison, outcome.
- After this course, participants will be able to list 3 search strategies for research related to the question (sources, time limit, and narrow/wide criteria).
- After this course, participants will be able to list 3 issues to consider when critically evaluating the evidence (1. Quality & credibility; 2. Usefulness; and 3. Evidence ranges from low to high).
- After this course, participants will be able to identify 3 issues to consider when making a decision that integrates the evidence with clinical expertise and patient/client values
|0-5 Minutes||Introduction of speakers; how and why we decided to collaborate|
|5-15 Minutes||Definitions, brief history and trends with smartphones, tablets, mp3 players and apps|
|15-20 Minutes||Concerns about the uses of apps in therapy|
|20-30 Minutes||Overview of EBP and myths surrounding EBP|
|30-35 Minutes||Viewing Apps within the Context of Evidence-Based Practice|
|35-55 Minutes||How to use EBP as a guideline for selecting apps in therapy: The 5 step process|
|55-60 Minutes||Conclusion and Questions|
No more reviews to load.
Course Participation Information
To ensure you are ready to participate, please complete our short Test Drive to prepare your computer to view the course.
Login and logout times will be recorded and documented.
Passing an online exam will be required to earn continuing education credit, where applicable.
Live Webinars allow presenter and participant interaction. The exam and course evaluation for these courses must be completed within 7 days of the event.
On-demand courses include texts, video and audio recordings of live webinars, and multimedia formats. The exam and course evaluation for on-demand courses must be completed within 30 days of course registration.
To participate in the course, complete the exam, and earn continuing education credit (where applicable), you must be a SpeechPathology.com member.
SpeechPathology.com is committed to providing equal opportunities in accordance with all applicable laws. If you are in need of a disability-related accommodation, please contact email@example.com. We will review your request and respond in a timely manner. Please note that we will require a minimum of 2 weeks to provide a reasonable accommodation for your request.
Visit our Contact us page or give us a call if you have questions.